Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Update....

So, I'd thought I'd share with the world my lovely not-so-little scar. It's been a little over 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm actually surprised that my scar isn't too bad. The photo makes it looks redder then it actually is (but what you can't tell is that it is pretty bumpy) The surgeon told us that by 6 months, it will look much better and after a few years it will just look like a crease in my neck.


I finally met with my endocrinologist (Dr Book) last week (it took almost 2 months to get in!) She has me taking lots and lots of vitamins, especially calcium and Vitamin D since my labs are still not up to par since the surgery. I bought $50 bucks worth of over the counter varieties of vitamins, like gummies, chewables and carmels (viativ) because I was getting sick of popping horse pills at every meal!
Dr Book seems very knowledgeable about my situation and we have a written out game plan of how we will deal with my thyroid issues from now on: during pregancy- blood tests every 4-6 weeks to monitor thyroid levels and appointments every 2-3 months. She feels it would be best for me to do the iodine radiation treatment after I'm done nursing baby #4. However, it is still our choice but I'm really feeling like it needs to be done. It just doesn't sound like a fun process....first you stop taking your thyroid medication for 3-5 weeks until you become sufficiently hypothyroid for the treatment. That alone will make me very tired and weak....which with 4 kids isn't great! Then they give me my radioactive iodine and with in a week I will have a body scan to locate any remaining thyroid tissue (cancerous or not). I will also have to isolate my self for a few days since I'll be radioactive :) Then I finally get to start taking my thyroid medication again but it can take another 5-7 week before my levels will be up to normal again. I will need to have a whole body scan every year since recurrence with my type of cancer (follicular variant of papillary cancer) is 25-35%
So there you have it!

4 comments:

christy said...

the scar really doesn't look bad, hopefully everything else goes well. good luck!

k. said...

Girly, your scar looks great! Especially if it is redder in the pic than in real life. I bet you won't be able to see much at all in a year or so. I love you, k.

Marnie said...

It's not bad at all...I'm glad that you're recovering well.

Kkelly said...

Tina, your scar looks great! I am really impressed with how it looks, they did an awesome job! Especially since it will look even better down the road.

Thank you for the update on you- you've been on my mind. Glad to know you are doing well!!

And it's so nice to have a doctor who you feel really knows and cares about you. :)